Share On Social!
Latinos are expected to comprise 30% of the U.S. population b y 2050.
That’s 15% who will be Latinas.
But Latinas have a much smaller hold on elected state and national political offices, according to a new infographic from Latinas Represent, Latina Lista reports:
- Out of 79 women holding seats in the House of Representatives (total: 435), only 9 are Latina.
- No Latina has ever held a Senate seat.
- Out of 1,789 women state legislators (total: 7,383 state legislators), only 78 are Latina.
- Of the 75 women holding statewide executive positions (total: 320 executives), only 5 are Latina.
- There is only one Latina governor.
Latinas Represent, a partnership between the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda and Political Parity, aims to increase the number of Latinas in elected office, in order to better reflect the nation’s demographics.