Share On Social!
By Amanda Merck, Salud America!
Many studies show that breastfeeding can positively impact a child’s physical and mental development and even reduce the risk of childhood obesity.
Unfortunately, many Latina mothers barriers in access to breastfeeding support: participation in federal food assistance programs that offer free infant formula, pain/discomfort, embarrassment, employment, inconvenience, lack of maternal access to breastfeeding information, not being properly instructed on how to breastfeed by hospital staff, and other cultural, social, economic, political, and psychosocial factors.
Breastfeeding mothers need to feel safe, supported and welcome to nurse or pump in all public spaces in order to meet their own personal breastfeeding goals.
Let’s use #SaludTues on August 2, 2016, during World Breastfeeding Week (#WBW2016) and National Breastfeeding Month, to tweet about “How Everyone can help Normalize Breastfeeding for Latinas and Latino Health” and how hospitals, employers, and communities can improve awareness of and access to breastfeeding support.
- WHAT: #SaludTues Tweetchat: “#NatureWalks & #LatinoHealth”
- TIME/DATE: 1-2 p.m. EST Tuesday, August 2, 2016
- WHERE: On Twitter with hashtag #SaludTues
- HOST: @SaludToday
- CO-HOSTS: National WIC Association (@NatWICAssoc), March of Dimes (@Nacersanobaby), and Breastfeeding Chef (@BreastfeedChef)
- Optional Hashtags: #bfing #WBW2016
We’ll open the floor to your experiences and stories as we discuss:
- Why it is important to look beyond individual choices when considering maternal and infant health.
- Some myths about breastfeeding that may prevent Latina mothers from starting or continuing to breastfeed.
- What can hospitals, employers, businesses, health departments, non-profits, and organisations can do to help Latina moms reach their personal breastfeeding goals?
Be sure to use the hashtag #SaludTues to follow the conversation on Twitter and share your strategies, stories, and resources for encouraging Latinos to explore and engage the power of nature.
#SaludTues is a weekly Tweetchat about Latino health at 12p CST/1p ET every Tuesday and hosted by @SaludToday, the Latino health social media campaign for the team at the Institute for Health Promotion Research (IHPR) at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
By The Numbers
We currently do not have any By the Number Facts related to this issue.