Share On Social!
Many Latino families struggle to get enough food to feed their families.
Even if they do get enough food, what they have access to is often unhealthy and nutritionally vacant. This contributes to a variety of disparities in diabetes, heart disease, and other health conditions.
We need nutrition security.
This means having consistent access to and availability and affordability of foods and drinks that promote well-being, while preventing — and, if needed, treating — disease.
In honor of American Heart Month in February and National Nutrition Month in March, let’s use #SaludTues on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022, to discuss emerging strategies to change environments, systems, and policies to encourage nutrition security and healthier hearts for Latinos and all people!
- WHAT: #SaludTues Tweetchat: Changing the System for Nutrition Security, Healthier Hearts
- TIME/DATE: 1-2 p.m. ET (Noon-1 p.m. CT), Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022
- WHERE: On Twitter with hashtag #SaludTues
- HOST: @SaludAmerica
- CO-HOSTS: The UConn Rudd Center for Food Policy and Health (@UConnRuddCenter); Center for Science in the Public Interest (@CSPI); Healthy Eating Research (@HEResearch); Oral Health Forum (@oralhealthforum); Latinx Voces (@latinxvocesllc); LatinaStrong Foundation (@LatinaStrongDr); U.S. HHS Office of Minority Health (@MinorityHealth)
- HASHTAG: #SaludTues
- OTHER HASHTAGS: #HeartMonth #NationalNutritionMonth
We’ll open the floor to your comments, tips, and stories as we explore:
- What does nutrition security mean?
- What are some ways that people of color struggle with access to healthy, nutritional food?
- How can families, communities, and governments make changes to increase equitable access to healthy, nutritional food and contribute to healthier hearts?
Be sure to use the hashtag #SaludTues to follow the conversation on Twitter and share your strategies, stories, and resources to explore how to address nutritional food and healthy hearts for Latinos!
#SaludTues is a monthly health equity tweetchat focused on health equity and the Latino population at 12p CT/1p ET on the first Tuesday of each month. #SaludTues is hosted by the @SaludAmerica program at the Institute for Health Promotion Research at UT Health San Antonio.