Share On Social!
We’re seeking a communications specialist to join our communication team at Salud America!, our national Latino health equity organization based at the Institute for Health Promotion Research (IHPR) at UT Health San Antonio.
The position will write, edit, and communicate health content and messages.
This includes digital content curation for the Salud America! program, as well as assisting in the production of numerous IHPR internal and external communication vehicles, such as newsletters, email blasts, presentations, websites, social media, press releases and more.
“The ideal candidate will identify, create, edit, and publish digital and multimedia content to drive awareness and action around health equity,” said Dr. Amelie G. Ramirez, director of the IHPR and Salud America! at UT Health San Antonio.
Details for the Communications Specialist Position
See the job duties here.
The position requires a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public health, technical writing, sociology, political science, environmental science, or a related field in the sciences or humanities.
Two years of related experience is also required.
Preferred experience includes:
- Knowledge and/or strong interest in health awareness, health disparities, and environmental health strongly preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication/journalism skills, especially in writing for news media, blogs and social media, conducting public relations-type activities, alongside demonstrated skills in writing, editing, proofing, and ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written, digital, and video formats.
- Experience utilizing the latest tools to measure the impact of digital content, webpages, and social media; particularly with WordPress, Google Analytics, Sprout Social, and native metrics on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter/X.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, and various web/e-communications programs (e.g., mass email systems such as SalsaLabs).
- Self-motivated and able to work independently or collaboratively to produce high-quality deliverables.
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and an expansive editorial/marketing calendar.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Video production and audio production skills, in pre-production, camera operation, and post-production.
Why Join Salud America!
Latinos are a rising U.S. powerhouse.
But they face barriers to be their healthiest and suffer high rates of obesity and other health inequities.
Salud America! creates culturally relevant and research-based stories, videos, a podcast, and action tools to inspire people to start and support healthy changes to policies, systems, and environments where Latino and all children and families can equitably live, learn, work, and play.
The program’s award-winning multimedia communications help our social and digital network—more than 500,000 moms and dads, providers, and community and school leaders—push for healthy changes.
Salud America! is led by health disparities researcher Dr. Amelie G. Ramirez and supported by a passionate team of communicators at Ramirez’s Institute for Health Promotion Research in the Department of Population Health Sciences in the School of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio. The program is supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and other grants.